Baldur's Gate 3 Artwork

Fixing Baldur’s Gate 3 Update “userdocs” Error at 96%

I figured this may be helpful to others experiencing the same issue.  I can’t take credit for the fix, was just the one I found that worked.

Symptoms/Issue:  Updating Baldur’s Gate 3 fails at 96% with a userdocs error.

Potentially/Likely Relevant:  Using GOG Galaxy to update.  My User Documents folder is stored on a NAS and is accessed using an SMB share mapped in Explorer.


  • Using Regedit, create a DWORD (32-bit) under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    • Name: EnableLinkedConnections
    • Value:  1
  • Reboot the machine and try the update again.  The update worked immediately after I did this.
Author: Greg
Middle-aged father of two - still a kid at heart! Lover of all things geeky, trivia, factoids, craft beers, and procrastination. #SnorlaxIsMySpiritAnimal. #CanadianEh! "I don't know. Fly casual."

Leave a Reply